Thursday, April 8, 2010

To Be Continued... A Marriage Proposal

So I said I would finish... It's now the end of the day and the internet works in one corner of the house. YAY :) Here we go...

So a few days ago it was the end of the day and we(Jess, Katie and I) were all so tired that were "slap happy". We had just put the babies to bed and it was raining outside. Usually we just go on to bed or get on the computer but all the sudden we were like, "ahh I just wish we could go out in the rain". We laughed and then stopped and kind of looked at each then ran upstairs grabbed towels and clean clothes and went out the back door and down the stairs. We started running around and jumping in puddles and swinging and it was just so nice! It was one of those moments when your like I can not believe this real. We all were like, we are actually half way across the world dancing outside in the rain surrounded my mountains. Jess asked this question, "Did you think 6 months ago you would ever actually get to do this?" Just thinking about that fact so puts things into perspective. What a blessing, God is just so amazing, His plan really is wonderful. So anyways right after that convo we heard shouting and looked up, all the older kids on the other side of the orphanage had gone to the windows to watch us and were all laughing and calling us crazing and asking what we were doing. It was hilarious! We went back in after that. The next day when they saw us they all started jumping and saying "we saw you, we saw you". It was pretty cute.

Hmm...I have 3 new foods to add to my gross list.
1. Pigeon Eggs
They were actually good, it just sounds gross. They cooked them like hard boiled eggs and if you put plenty of salt they tasted pretty much the same.
2. Shrimp Chips
They were ok. It was kind of like a puffy Cheeto that tasted like shrimp. They were dyed bright yellow, orange and purple. So it was strange but not terrible.
3. Squid Strings
They looked a lot like onion rings except they were shredded pieces of squid. Not the greatest. lol

Two nights ago I got to go over to devotions for the first time! Every night the big kids on the other side of the complex have devotions in Chinese. They hold the big babies during devotions and we stay with the little ones but that night we brought the little ones with us and went over. It was so neat! They start with music and that night our adoptive families were in and both the husbands play piano so they played for the kids. (A lot of the kids play the piano and they are really good, so it was neat for them to see Americans do it as well) But I just love it, it was kind of the same thing in Mexico, but hearing a whole group of people who speak different languages all speaking the same words and worshiping the same God, it just gives me chills. It was beautiful! We didn't understand the message but it looked good to me ;)

So as I've mentioned 2 adoptive families are in right now and we are loving having them! They are so sweet and it makes us so excited to give the babies to such wonderful families! Watching the babies start to smile when their mommies talk to them and watching the dads learn to change diapers, it's just SO cute!

And we got to go out on the town fir the first time yesterday!! It was so much fun! Us 3 girls walked around Lou-dung and shopped at all these street stores and found some really cute things! Then we got to eat at McDonalds! We were ecstatic to get a coke and fries and ice cream :) So while were eating this older man came and sat at the table next to us and we were of course the only people who were speaking english. So he started talking to us in English just asking where we were from and why we were here, casual conversation. ...And yes we were careful about what info we gave! So anyways he went on to ask us if we were Christians and he told us he was too. he told us a church to go to and just very nice stuff. Then all the sudden he said something and I didn't quite understand him, so I asked him again and he repeated himself. I looked at Jess thinking surely I heard him wrong. But as he goes on telling me how old he is and that he was probably too old that pretty much confirmed it. He had been asking, "would you marry me?" I looked at Jess, smiled back at the man and said I'm sorry I don't understand you, we grabbed our stuff and left. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness! I was freaking out! ...So big news, I got my first "marriage proposal" in a McDonalds. Definitely a first and not quite the romantic moment I had in mind.... EWW!! I'm still grossed out just thinking about it. So hence the name of the blog.

Well I'm going to head to bed now, that's all for now! LOVE YOU ALL!! Please continue to keep the babies and staff in your prayers there have been some difficult situations going on, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm a marriage proposal, dancing in the rain, worshipping in Chinese, squid strings, and Macs all in the same week? What great memories for you. Gpa said today he wondered about you missing your car and tv so he was interested in the first half of your letter. He's working outside and he'll enjoy the 2nd half as well. We have sunshine today, but it's just 50 degrees. I picked up the Waukee 3 yesterday for early out. Lily stayed at the Library for a special "game edition" day, Kate and I went to Starbucks and gpa picked up John and they went by McDonalds on the way home. Uncle Doug came after work and we ate supper together. Because if was early out I try to make fun things to do, but it was really raining so we stayed inside and I fixed shrimp (not chips) and chicken for fondue. Also baked chicken breast for those of the adults who wanted to sit down (me). We had baked potatoes, creamed corn, peas and lettuce salad. Also had strawberries and chocolate to dunk into. I didn't heat it, but it was good anyway. Do you ever wish you'd learn to play the piano? The adoptive families sound really nice. I like your view of having them and watching them with their child. When we were in the Dominican on a short term mission trip, we loved worshipping in the Dominican Church and singing the songs in English while they were singing in Spanish. And how they sing and smile. Puts us to shame sometimes. I'm so thankful for your being able to be in The Home of God's Love. Even through the homesick times. I can't think of a better way to see and experience another family life. Give our love to the Skiles. And our love and prayers to you and all your friends as well. Gma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!! That is the funniest thing ever!!! I love that you are finding the beauty in the mundane, and dancing in the rain! ;) HAHA, I love this story, can't wait to hear the proposal story in your own words. OF COURSE you would get you first proposal in a foreign country in mcdonalds!!Thats one story you'll tell over again and again!! It made me laugh out loud!!

    I love you like crazy!! thinking about you!!

    love, Bekah


    P.s. Katie says hi! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok u made me laugh out loud ( which doesn't take at lot knowing me )but that is hilarious with the whole proposal thin.....awe I miss u and love you soo much :)
    <3 Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, sorry to hear you've been ill at the Home again. We're praying for all to get well fast! Gma and Gpa

    ReplyDelete